Musculoskeletal Nursing Questions and Answers
1) Which of the following should the nurse assess when completing the history and physical examination of a client diagnosed with Osteoarthritis?
c. Weight loss
d. Local joint pain
2) A client has an intracapsular hip fracture. The nurse should conduct a focused assessment to detect?
a. Internal rotation
b. Muscle flaccidity
c. Shortening of the affected leg
d. Absence of pain in the fracture area
3) The client has just had a total knee replacement for severe osteoarthritis. Which of the following assessment findings should suspect possible nerve damage?
4) When Assessing a client for neurologic impairment after a total hip replacement. Which of the following would indicate impairment in the affected extremity?
a. Decreased distal pulse
b. Inability to move
c. Diminished capillary refill
d. Coolness to the touch
5) Following a total joint replacement, which of the following complications has the greatest likelihood of occurring?
a. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
c. Intussusception of the bowel
d. Wound evisceration
6) Which of the following positions would be most comfortable for a client with a ruptured disc at L5–S1 right?
b. Supine with the legs flexed
c. High Fowler’s
d. Right Sims
7) A client has severe arterial occlusive disease and gangrene of the left great toe. Which of the following findings is expected?
a. Edema around the ankle
b. Loss of hair on the lower leg
c. Thin, soft toenails
d. Warmth in the foot
8) A client with a fracture develops compartment syndrome. Which of the following signs should alert the nurse to impending organ failure?
c. Generalized edema
d. Dark, scanty urine
9) A client with a fractured right femur has not had any immunizations since childhood. Which of the following biologic products should administer to provide the client with passive immunity for tetanus?
a. Tetanus toxoid
b. Tetanus antigen
c. Tetanus vaccine
d. Tetanus antitoxin
10) When assessing the client with a cord transection above T5 for possible complications, which of the following should expect as least likely to occur?
b. Paralytic ileus
c. Stress ulcers
d. Intra-abdominal bleeding
11) Which of the following should be the best method to assess for the development of deep vein thrombosis in a client with a spinal cord injury?
a. Homans’ sign
d. Leg girth
12) During the period of spinal shock, the nurse should expect the client’s bladder function to be which of the following?
13) . When the client has a cord transection at T4, which of the following is the primary focus of the nursing assessment?
a. Renal status
b. Vascular status
c. Gastrointestinal function
d. Biliary function
14) Older adult client with a hip fracture. Which of the following chronic health problems would the nurse be least likely to assess in the client?
b. Cardiac decompensation
c. Pulmonary disease
d. Multiple sclerosis
15) On the evening of surgery for total knee replacement, a client wants to get out of bed. To safely assist the client, the nurse should do which of the following?
a. Encourage the client to apply full weight bearing
b. Order a walker for the client
c. Place a straight-backed chair at the foot of the bed
d. Apply a knee immobilizer
Please Subscribe Our YouTube channel – The Nurse
Like our Facebook Page: The Nurse
Please Subscribe to get all our posts in your mail inbox