Table of Contents
How to Use the FreeStyle Libre 2 System for Continuous Glucose Monitoring
If you have diabetes, you know how important it is to monitor your glucose levels regularly. But fingersticks can be painful, inconvenient, and costly. That’s why many people are switching to continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems, such as the FreeStyle Libre 2 system.
The FreeStyle Libre 2 system is a CGM system that allows you to check your glucose levels anytime, anywhere, without fingersticks. It consists of a small, discreet sensor that you wear on the back of your upper arm and a smartphone app that you use to scan the sensor and view your glucose data.
In this blog post, we will show you how to set up and use your FreeStyle Libre 2 system, and how it can help you manage your diabetes better.
Step 1: Download the FreeStyle Libre 2 App
The FreeStyle Libre 2 app is the companion app for the FreeStyle Libre 2 system. It allows you to scan your sensor with your smartphone, view your current glucose level, trend arrow, and history graph, customize your glucose alarms, share your data with your healthcare team, and more.
To use the FreeStyle Libre 2 app, you must register with LibreView, a cloud-based diabetes management system that securely stores your glucose data and allows you to access it online.
You can download the FreeStyle Libre 2 app from the App Store or Google Play Store for free. Make sure your smartphone is compatible with the app by checking the compatibility guide.
Step 2: Apply Your Sensor
The sensor is part of the FreeStyle Libre 2 system that measures your glucose levels every minute and stores up to 8 hours of data. It is easy to apply 1,2 with a simple one-step process.
To apply your sensor, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands and clean the application site on the back of your upper arm with an alcohol wipe. Let it dry completely.
- Open the sensor pack by peeling off the lid. Do not touch the inside of the lid or the adhesive.
- Unscrew the cap from the sensor applicator and set it aside.
- Place the sensor applicator over the sensor pack and press down firmly until it clicks into place.
- Lift the sensor applicator from the sensor pack. The sensor is now attached to the applicator.
- Place the sensor applicator on the back of your upper arm and push down firmly until you hear a click. The sensor is now applied to your skin.
- Gently pull off the sensor applicator and dispose of it safely. The sensor should stay on your arm for up to 14 days.
You can watch a video tutorial on how to apply your sensor here.
Step 3: Start Your New Sensor
After applying your sensor, you need to start it with your smartphone using the FreeStyle Libre 2 app. This will activate the sensor and allow it to measure your glucose levels.
To start your new sensor, follow these steps:
- Open the FreeStyle Libre 2 app on your smartphone and tap “Start New Sensor“.
- Scan the QR code on the back of the sensor pack with your smartphone camera. This will pair your sensor with your app.
- Tap “Start Sensor” and wait for a confirmation message. Your sensor is now started and will be ready to scan in one hour.
You can watch a video tutorial on how to start your new sensor here.
Step 4: Continue Scanning Often
Once your sensor is ready, you can scan it with your smartphone using the FreeStyle Libre 2 app as often as you want, day or night, without fingersticks. Scanning your sensor will show you:
- Your current glucose level
- A trend arrow that indicates if your glucose level is going up, down, or staying steady
- A history graph that shows up to 8 hours of glucose data
To scan your sensor, follow these steps:
- Open the FreeStyle Libre 2 app§ on your smartphone and tap “Scan Now“.
- Hold the back of your smartphone near the sensor until you hear a beep or feel a vibration. This may take up to 10 seconds.
- View your glucose data on your smartphone screen. You can also swipe left or right to see more details.
You can watch a video tutorial on how to scan your sensor here.
How To Customize Your Glucose Alarms
One of the features of the FreeStyle Libre 2 system is the optional, real-time glucose alarms that alert you when your glucose level is too high or too low. The alarms will even trigger at night, so you can sleep better knowing that you are covered around the clock.
You can customize your glucose alarms to suit your preferences and needs. You can choose:
- The glucose level at which you want to be alerted for high or low glucose
- The sound and vibration pattern for each alarm
- The snooze time for each alarm
- The days and times when you want the alarms to be active or silent
To customize your glucose alarms, follow these steps:
- Open the FreeStyle Libre 2 app on your smartphone and tap “Settings“.
- Tap “Glucose Alarms” and toggle the switch to turn them on or off.
- Tap “High Glucose Alarm” or “Low Glucose Alarm” to adjust the glucose level, sound, vibration, and snooze time for each alarm.
- Tap “Alarm Schedule” to set the days and times when you want the alarms to be active or silent.
You can watch a video tutorial on customizing your glucose alarms here.
How To Use LibreView To View and Share Your Glucose Reports
LibreView is a cloud-based diabetes management system that securely stores your glucose data and allows you to access it online. You can use LibreView to create easy-to-read glucose reports for yourself and to share them with your healthcare team.
To use LibreView, you need to create an account and link it with your FreeStyle Libre 2 app. This will enable your app to automatically upload your glucose data to LibreView every time you scan your sensor.
To create a LibreView account and link it to your app, follow these steps:
- Go to www.libreview.com and click “Sign Up“.
- Fill in your details and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your email address by clicking on the link sent to you.
- Log in to your LibreView account and click “Link Account“.
- Scan the QR code on your smartphone screen with your computer camera. This will link your app with your LibreView account.
To view your glucose reports on LibreView, follow these steps:
- Log in to your LibreView account and click “Reports“.
- Choose the report type and time period that you want to see.
- View your glucose data in various formats, such as graphs, tables, and statistics.
To share your glucose reports with your healthcare team on LibreView, follow these steps:
- Log in to your LibreView account and click “Share“.
- Enter the email address of your healthcare provider and click “Send Invitation“.
- Your healthcare provider will receive an email with a link to accept your invitation and view your glucose data.
The FreeStyle Libre 2 system is a CGM system that can help you monitor your glucose levels more conveniently and effectively than fingersticks. It consists of a sensor you wear on your arm and an app to scan the sensor and view your glucose data.
In this blog post, we showed you how to set up and use your FreeStyle Libre 2 system, how to customize your glucose alarms, and how to use LibreView to view and share your glucose reports.
We hope this blog post was helpful to you. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. And if you are interested in trying the FreeStyle Libre 2 system for yourself, you can sign up for a free trial here.
(1) FreeStyle Libre 2 app | Abbott | Canada.
(2) How to Apply the FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensor – YouTube.
(3) How to use the FreeStyle Libre family of products.
(4) Getting started with FreeStyle Libre 2 | Abbott | Canada.
(5) Everything you need to know about FreeStyle Libre 2.
You May Also Like
The Ultimate Guide to Artificial Rupture of Membrane (AROM) – Click Here
Digoxin Toxicity EKG Findings – Click Here