Skip to content
Points Related to Schizophrenic & Delusional disorders
- The main types of schizophrenia are hebephrenic schizophrenia, catatonic schizophrenia, paranoid schizophrenia & schizoaffective type, etc.
- Waxy flexibility is a motor disturbance that is the predominant feature of catatonic schizophrenia
- Catatonic patients present two main types of picture
- Catatonic stupor and catatonic excitement
- Prolonged isolation can produce sensory deprivation, manifested by hallucinations
- Depersonalization is a state in which the client feels unreal or believes parts of the body are being distorted
- Looseness of association refers to sentences that have vague connections to each other.
- Echolalia is the involuntary parrot-like repetition of words spoken by others, where Echopraxia refers to the meaningless imitation of others’ motions
- Direct questioning is the most appropriate technique to use when interviewing a client with paranoid schizophrenia
- Eg: Are you hearing voices right now?
- Alcoholic beverages are contraindicated while taking an antipsychotic drug
- The bipolar affective disorder is characterized by cycles of extreme emotional high(mania) and lows (depression)
- Taking antipsychotic medication with milk, nicotine, and caffeine will decrease the effectiveness
- Referential thinking: When an individual incorrectly interprets neutral incidents and external events as having particular or special meaning for him
- Concrete thinking: It is the literal interpretation of words and symbols
- Clang Association: It is the linking of words by sound rather than its meaning
- The client may say “I like to drive my car, bar, tar, far.”
- Avolition is the lack of motivation
- Alogia is also called poverty of speech, is a decrease in the amount of richness in speech
- A flat affect is the absence of emotional expression
- Haloperidol is an antipsychotic medication. It is also used to control tics and vocal utterances that are part of Tourette syndrome
- Never touch an agitated client, touch can be misinterpreted as a threat and can further escalate the situation
- Fluphenazine an antipsychotic drug that can cause photosensitivity and sunburn
- The Prodromal (early) signs and symptoms of schizophrenia may include impaired role functioning and neglect of personal hygiene as well as social withdrawal and depression
- Disorganized schizophrenia is characterized by disorganized speech, disorganized behavior, and inappropriate or flat affect.
- A client with ideas of reference mistakenly believes that other people’s thought, speech, and behaviors refers to the client.
- Polyuria and polydipsia are common side effects of lithium.
- Orthostatic hypotension is an adverse effect of Tricyclic antidepressants
Post Views: 1,665